26 September 2017

3rd century AD - Roman Lanciarii

It has been unusually quiet on this blog, even considering my standards. But this doesn't mean I haven't been idle hobby wise. In fact I've been rather productive but honestly I didn't feel like taking pictures. I'm still not really comfortable with my new camera, thus I've let it slip.

Anyway, I couldn't withstand the temptation to start a new project and am about to embark onto a journey which will lead me into the turbulent 3rd century A.D., also known as the time of crisis for the Roman Empire. So yes, once more it's all about mighty Rome and her enemies.




I've always been intrigued by the way some people use the large bases for games like Impetus to create little dioramas. Thus while trawling the interweb for ideas I came across the splendid painting by Angus McBride you see above and suddenly inspiration struck. I knew what to do for my first base.


There's not much in the way of choice when it comes to 3rd century Roman miniatures, so I was stuck with A&A miniatures line of miniatures for this project. Not much of a problem though as the figures are rather nice, if maybe a bit on the crude side as far as the sculpting is concerned. At least when compared to my all time favourite Paul Hicks, or the more recent Aventine Miniatures (incidentally by the same sculptor who also did the A&A ranges). 
As an aside, I can't praise A&A enough for their excellent customer service. Excellent and prompt communication as well as very forthcoming with replacements if required.


The miniatures required some clean up as well as some slight modifications in order to capture the flavour, if not the exact detail of the original artwork.


Shields were painted by hand, but honestly I don't know yet if I'll see this through for the whole project. It's quite a time sink and compared to LBM and other manufacturers of high quality decals I don't really feel it's worth the effort. In case you wonder about the die on the base, well I intend to use it as a way to keep track of the units VBU (a kind of combined morale/ unit quality value) in games of Impetus. One less marker to clutter up the table.



That's it for the moment. Stay tuned!

22 comments:

  1. As always with you, wonderful painting.
    This little diorama is really good, and you have perfectly captured he feeling of the drawing.
    I hope to see more soon, it's a very nice project !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a little more than a painting - coloring, selection of the scenery and its implementation!
    It´s just fun looking at your paintings again and again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always fantastic work! Great looking scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! fabulous work and paintjob! hats off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Impetus-base ! Good Idea to create a little corner for the VBU die.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb, a great idea well rendered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent! A great first base for Impetus.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the pleasure of seeing this superb piece of work up close and all I can say is more please!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this kind of base who tells a story. Great work !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work, great idea. God Bless Angus McBride. An inspiration to many of us wargamers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful scenery and great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Full of energy and telling a story; that's what I look for in a vignette! lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, I've really missed see you put up new works on your blog. I do hope this means you will start posting more regularly again. And needless to say, your latest stuff looks fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to see you back! These little diorama bases really can bring an army to life adding some nice background story to the whole lot. The shields certainly look great and definitely worth the effort! Though if you can find good decals it's always a good choice. Just finding ones that don't require too much touching up around the edges etc. seems to be a pain in the a**.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inspiration indeed. You have certainly captured the artwork and transferred it onto your base, also those hand painted shields are superb.
    Say hello to Christopher for me, I am still unable to leave a comment on his blog for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your painting + Impetus basing + a match made in heaven! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete