26 July 2015

Late War German Infantry Squad

Progress at last! These guys were sitting on my painting table for the better part of two months and finally they're done. Somehow a combination of the almost unbearable heat here, listlessness and painting blockade conspired against me to get these buggers off the table.



Sometimes it feels like Late War Germans are the Napoleonics among all the other WW2 armies. Lots of different uniform shades, camo and an eclectic mix of equipment parts make them a rather difficult force to paint.


Don't get me wrong these new Warlord Games plastic Grenadiers are great figures and may well be one of their best sets produced todate.


For my liking there's a little too much Zeltbahn and other camo stuff on these guys and I would have prefered if at least one or two of the poses would have had the high shaft marching boots so iconic for German Landsers. Also because of their distinct M43 and M44 tunics these are more or less only really suited for the closing  6 to 8 months of WW2.

MG42 gunner and loader

So Warlord now have a set of Blitzkrieg Infantry (because of the gas plane pouch) only suited for 1939 to the summer of 1941 and a set of Grenadiers for the summer of 1944 to the surrender in May 1945. What's with those mere three years in between I ask? Somehow I guess there will probably be another set covering that time span at some point as Germans always sell... or at least it looks like. I wish the would have left the darn gas plane pouch off their Blitzkrieg figures so they could be used throughout the whole war without too much of a stretch. I know I'm a little bit picky about such things on my WW2 stuff. Somehow in other periods I don't care that much about accuracy.


One thing I really like though is the rifle slings on almost all of the rifles. It really adds to the overall look of the figures. Another nice thing is the set beeing mixable quite well with bits and pieces from the Blitzkrieg set allowing for even more variation.


For the moment I have enough of Late War Germans so I'll probably go back to my Early War stuff or for something completely different. Don't know yet.


So that's it for today. Have a nice week!

27 comments:

  1. Your WW2 collection is absolutely superb and that camo is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely exquisite painting. The detail is awesome. The basing is very good too.
    Well done indeed, sir!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really spectacular painting M, I get loads of inspiration each time I study your technique - is that Corporal badge a decal or are you just insanely good at details?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sören. The Corporal badge is indeed a decal. I wish I could paint that good ;-)

      Delete
  4. Fantastic work as usual Nick!! Really great to see you putting paint to brush again.Having gone through a really nasty painters block at the end of last year and the first couple of months of this year I can really sympathize. I look foward to seeing these guys on the table!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant painting!

    Warburton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid work!
    Here in sweden its been raining all sommer so if i can chose i take the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see you painting again! Amazing work on the camo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are truly exceptional Nick, brilliant work Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work! Very very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are something special mate. Everything is so well highlighted. I particularly like the gun woodwork. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in awe of all the flourishes and detail you packed onto these lovely scuplts. One day, you must treat us to an AAR where we can see these fellows in action!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic stuff Nick! Great inspiration for all of us again

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, absolutely stunning painting on these miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb job :) Not a plastic fan but they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes taking time off from your work is important to make it better. These soldiers looks superb Moiterei. Absolutely superb.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely work Nick! I quite like the redhead MG 42 gunner.

    ReplyDelete
  17. invitation to visiting my blogthat is under construction
    Greetings-
    _________________________________________
    Einladung zum meinem Blog, die im Bau befindet besuchen
    Grüße

    http://einealtekriegsspiel.blogspot.com.ar/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely superb - stunning work, Nick. Just really fantastic....again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marvellous work. These guys look alive and ready to start fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Outstanding paintjob, faces are so realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - I can't believe I missed this post earlier; my apologies but what fantastic looking WW2 Germans. The camo work is lovely as the rest of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very beatifull nice!!! I really like the orange hair

    ReplyDelete
  23. Could you please email me the color process to your different shades of field grey and the shmock ! Painting some late war artizan figures to an upcoming game I’m putting on . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Historicalgamer91@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Could you email the color process to your different base shades (gray, brick, earth) and shmock! I am painting some warlord figures for Stalingrad 1941-42 for an upcoming exhibition that we are organizing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    jl.rojasdegalvez@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete