25 August 2014

Battle of the Hürtgen Forest - 82nd Airborne Division #1

Today for something different. At least scale wise... some of you may have already seen I had done a hand full 15mm U.S. Paratroopers quite some time ago. Now while I had my recent clean out I stumbled over them again and as nobody seemed willing to buy them I gave the rest of them a go.


Now to be honest, they were sitting on my desk almost finished for some weeks now. First I couldn't decide if I should base them for a Winter themed campaign or, as my dear mate Axebreaker suggested, if I should go for the common summer/ spring basing in order to make them as all-purpose as possible. Then, after having decided for the winter themed basing I couldn't get arsed to do it :-)




Painting wise these fellows were real eye openers to me. The first few figures took me quite some time and despite really enjoying them I set them aside. Now I tried a different approach with reducing the colour palette and using only blacklining, base coat and second highlight (when referring to the Foundry triad system) except for the skin. I also did block paint these guys what enabled me to do 20 of these guys on just one day. For me, needing about the same time for just two figures in 28mm this was an amazing experience.


Painting wise these fellows were real eye openers to me. The first few figures took me quite some time and despite really enjoying them I set them aside. Now I tried a different approach with reducing the colour palette and using only blacklining, base coat and second highlight (when referring to the Foundry triad system) except for the skin. I also did block paint these guys what enabled me to do 20 of these guys on just one day. For me, needing about the same time for just two figures in 28mm this was an amazing experience.


I think it's a shame Battlefront not doing a boxed set of these superb plastic paras yet. This means for reinforcements I either have to buy a second 'Open Fire' Starterset or I have to make do with the metal ones.


As I don't want to have to many doublets and the plastic paras lacking BAR's I think I will go with the metal ones...


Unfortunately there are not nearly enough figures in the box to make up a full platoon for Battlegroup but it ain't intended to isn't it?


So I think plenty more 15mm madness in the forseeable future... when I get sorted out how to do 15mm Shermans in Winter camo :-)

Thanks for viewing and hope you enjoeyed!

15 comments:

  1. Really really nice. What's the snow effect? I went for for Spring/summer on mine though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent - love the Winter theme! I also have some left overs from the box set too sitting doing nothing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice snow effect!
    What did you use? I'm doing some tests with soda powder and it's looking good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive painting on 15mm figures with 28mm quality. I have also been thinking for some time about doing a smaller scale 15mm or 20mm WW2 in the snow setting and seeing these has got me thinking again.
    Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sensational unit, I just can't believe that these are 15mm - just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I'm floored by the quality you've managed on such very small figures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work on these! The paras really are the best plastics BF has done until now. I just hope that if they ever make them into a company box they don't do what they did with the American Riflemen and fill the sprue with a lot of duplicates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow ! As already said, your painting is really precise and impressive for such a scale !
    Your winter bases are very nice, it gives a more dramatic feeling than a summer basing. So it's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning work on these guys! Love the winter bases too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work! Some of the best painting in 15mm I've seen, from the faces to the US flags. The snow basing is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply fantastic painting here! I mean you're doing 15's with amazing highlighting and details, and still adding the Stars & Stripes on their shoulders - really impressive. Pure envy :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic details on the face ... more so when you consider the scale involved. Nice work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice mate! I got reminded of the Band of Brothers episode where the Easy Company is sitting in the snow covered forest of Bastogne immediatly. Great paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look awesome. Great painting! These are on my painting queue as well and I reinforced them with the metals from FoW to make a platoon for CoC or Battlegroup. The easy company pack. Since you are doing winter some with the greatcoats would be a nice addition as well. Must say the plastics are far more easy to paint then the metals. btw,, what colours did you use for the uniform and webbing? Chhers, Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the uniforms I used Foundry Drab A & C. The webbing was done in Foundry Rawhide A & C. Hope this helps.

      Delete